Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The first day of summer

Nero
The winter was so mild that spring did come about a month sooner this year, which probably accounts for the longer than normal stretch of spring.  I know it's not summer yet, of course, but today was the first hot, humid day that felt like a Virginia summer.  I can't say that I'm happy about it, I think summers here are miserable. I've had the AC on and off again for a few days, even going back to heat, but I expect that now it's on to stay. 
Daisy, Radley, Lana

Clay took Rex to the vet this morning to be neutered.  They also did all his vaccines and a heartworm test.  He came home this evening with pain meds and some acepromazine to sedate him.  He settled down in a crate next to Gigi and Trooper in the office and was quiet when I was out of the room.  When I came back he started spinning in his crate so put him into a small outdoor space by himself and gave him the acepromazine.  I'll give him a day or two to recover before starting him on the Prozac. 

Daisy kissing up to Lana, Hank staring her down.
Nero and I did some pasture mowing this evening.  It's getting harder to give him the daily injections because he's learned what I'm about to do and has come to realize that the medication stings when injected under his skin.  I tried a new technique this evening (pressing him against a solid surface while he's eating, grabbing a bit of skin, and giving him the shot), and it was easier than the last couple days have been. 

Radley the clown
The gang of Lana, Daisy, Hank, and Radley all get along well together.  I kept Hank and Daisy with Dixie during the day in the big kennel, and Lana and Radley in the canopy kennel, but for morning and evening playtime they are all together in the dog yard.  I can't bring Dixie into the mix with Lana, however, that would be trouble, and besides, Dixie can, will, and has jumped the dog yard fence and I don't want her teaching that trick to anyone else. 
Hank, Lana, Daisy

The key to getting along with Lana is to kiss her ass and treat her like the queen.  Daisy figured that out really quickly, Hank still needs an occasional reminder, which he got tonight.  Lana and Radley are very well matched in play. 
Gigi

Gigi pretty much lives indoors with our dogs and goes out on their schedule, but she does get a little extra yard time with the fosters in the evenings.  She is eating pretty well now, once a day, but I need to get the elimination portion of her digestive process on a better schedule.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want to thank you not only for all that you do for these dogs, but for blogging about it and posting pics. I start each and every one of my days (which is very early due to work!) checking for updates to your day's stories!!

Love the pics of all the little ones playing!! I hope Rex starts to do better as well!