This past August was our 30th anniversary as a couple, a number that boggles my mind mostly because it makes me realize how old I am getting to be. Today, October 8th, is 12 years after we were legally married in a courtroom in the small county where we lived. Gay marriage remains a hot issue with the religious reich in the United States although public opinion has shifted to being largely in favor or at least indifferent towards it. However, the fucking republicans now have enough votes on the Supreme Court to overturn the decision that made it legal 12 years ago and I have no doubt that they are looking for the right case to bring a new challenge through the court system. It is among the many reasons that we chose to move to France.
Our marriage hasn't demeaned the value or meaning of marriage, nor has it caused the failure of anyone's marriage (except possibly a few closet cases who found themselves trapped in a heterosexual relationship and realized that they could do better.) Extending civil rights has never resulted in the diminishment of the rights of others.
I have written quite a bit on this topic over the years and I don't really have anything new or different to say today. The pictures below are just some recent ones from around town. We are going out to eat this evening to celebrate our 12th. I'm going to fill out my absentee ballot for the mid-term election this afternoon.
No comments:
Post a Comment