Sunday, March 11, 2012

Therapy


Spartan
The last couple days have been bad so I needed some therapy today.  I took Radley, Augie, Spartan, and Dixie to a VGSR adoption event in Gainesville. 

It was Spartan's first time out, but he was pretty much done with his antibiotics and didn't seem to be scratching anymore.  I wanted to see how he would be out in public around strange people and new dogs because he is so shy here at home, to the point of being a submissive urinater.
Augie and Radley
I thought Dixie would have a lot of interest and a shot at adoption even though the folks who had contacted me about her weren't going to be able to make it to the adoption event.  She is spayed now, just finished three days of Panacure, and was ready to go.

Augie and Radley worked the crowd like old time politicians, shaking hands and kissing babies, hustling food instead of votes.  They always generate a lot of looks and interest and today was no exception.  I passed out a few cards to three or four people who seemed particularly interested, so we will see. 
Dixie

Dixie was good but had no takers today, but that's fine.  She needs to put on a few pounds to look her best anyway and I have no doubt that her time will come. 

Anthony!
A nice surprise was seeing Anthony with his new adopter.  He was the second most senior of the hoarder shepherds.  When he first came into the shelter I had my doubts that he would ever be leaving there because he was rather aggressive towards strangers.  That was fear based and he got over it.  He's in a great home and they love him.  That was so nice to see today.

Spartan, amid a crowd of people
I love this pic of Radley.
He's the most photogenic dog.
The really nice surprise is that I came home without Spartan!  A nice young family met him and liked him.  Their little girl was quite taken by him and he seemed very comfortable with them.  She's a nurse and wasn't put off by the medical stuff and they can afford to keep him on a good quality food.  It's a week long trial, but I think it stands a good chance of working out.  They do have a small dog, and a cat, but I don't see the least bit of prey drive or aggression in this guy. 

A good day was had by all. 

No comments: