Saturday, August 1, 2026

Our first year in France

It's been one year since we arrived at CDG airport in Paris, with a few bags of clothing and personal items, and Bailey in her crate. We kept that airline crate and it has become Bailey's den. We got a big piece of wood to lay on the top making it into a very useful table that lives on my side of the bedroom. I've since learned that crating is not common in France, but Bailey loves her crate, feels secure there, and goes into it willingly whenever we ask. 

We reserved a small room in the local brewery down the street and hosted a small gathering yesterday evening. There were probably 25 people who came and went in the course of the evening. We told folks that it was a dual celebration, marking our first year in France and our 30th year as a couple. Clay's beer friends came, of course, as well as some people we had met through the American Club in Lille, a couple who lives in our building, and Bailey's friend from the dog park. 

I might claim Bailey's friend as my friend, but really it's Bailey who made the relationship. We see her and her dog (an Australian shepherd) most days when we stop by the dog park towards the end of our morning walk. She made a real effort to get to know Bailey and she speaks English well enough that we've become acquainted as well. She has the same co-dependent relationship with her dog that I have with Bailey. I don't know much more about her personally, but that's enough to deem her a kindred spirit. Making human friends doesn't come easily to me, quelle surprise, so I'd say that one friend in one year is pretty good, or at least as good as could be expected. 

We have our carte vitale (French health insurance cards), and French driver's licenses. The main bureaucratic goal outstanding is the renewal of our one year visa, but we've been notified that it's in process and they've given us a three month extension already. I need to find and commit to a new language learning system. We are here to stay for as long as they'll have us. 


Bailey in her new harness.

I need to get her some cool velcro patches for the harness. 


The world's shortest blooming hollyhock, growing out of a crack in stone.

My favorite house in Lille.

We were in the dog park on Friday and spotted them moving the sheep to a new location. I hadn't seen this before. They normally just move the fencing to an adjacent location and move them around that way gradually. They actually moved them down the sidewalk along a roadway. I'm not sure where they went. There were one or two herding dogs controlling the movement. The guardian dogs were leading the way but not really assisting with the move.

Here you can see the livestock guardian dogs out front and a herding dog (Australian shepherd I think), at the rear. The owners and their dogs are Romanian. 

I had a good vantage point standing on top of the earthen mound in the dog park. See how dry and brown the grass is? We really need some rain.

The dogs and the people obviously knew what they were doing.

Full moon rising.



One year in and we have no regrets. Hoping for many more.

No comments: