Sunday, October 4, 2026

Recent events, post-London

I used to experience a period of post-vacation depression after returning from trips and getting back into the same old grind. Maybe it's retirement, maybe it's France, but I don't seem to have that problem any more. We returned last Wednesday and have had something going on every day since then.


On Thursday we went to the Theatre du Nord for our first live theatrical experience in France. (Well, we did see a production of Les Mis a while back, but this was the first real play in a real theater rather than a big musical event space.) I don't even remember the name of the play but apparently it was some classic French thing that everyone but me knew. I didn't know and didn't understand a word of it so it was entirely lost on me. It was nice to see something live in the theater but I think Clay will need to find someone else to go with for the next show. 






On Friday we took a subway and bus ride out to a stadium in the burbs for a rugby match. I didn't know all the rules but language wasn't an issue and they sold beer so I found it more enjoyable. The local team lost but I'm not invested in them emotionally anyway. 






Saturday afternoon we went to the Lille Street Food Festival. We had gone last year and enjoyed it and we did again. It's about 60 food trucks from the area along with local breweries. It was a gorgeous day. We came home and went to bed early because I still can't shake that cold I had in London and Clay thought he might be coming down with it as well.



Like us, this Grey Heron found a way to go about his normal business while keeping his distance from the race.

My Sunday morning walk with Bailey was a short one because we encountered a big race event happening at the Citadel. It was the Rubon Rose (pink ribbon) race, part of the month-long October Rose event for breast cancer awareness. The buildings on Grand Place are lit up in pink.





No comments: