Saturday, May 17, 2014

Tag team hiking



After spending most of the day trying to get at least one mower operational (without success), I finally said to hell with it and went for a hike. Although it was cool enough today that I could have taken one dog for a long hike, I had several that needed to go so I did three walks, back to back, with three different dogs.





I started with Ochie, who really is pretty good to walk with anymore, it's the only time I don't find him to be really annoying. He got the lion's share of distance too, about 5.25 miles. I started at the dog park area at Pleasant Grove, which is just minutes from our house, so I drove back home and swapped out Ochie for Max.

There were a lot of signs of recent
flooding along the trails, including
this dislodged, but still usable, bridge.
Max and I did about three miles and then I drove home again, dropped off Max and picked up Charlie for the last stretch. I got over 10 miles of walking in today, and all three dogs had a good amount of exercise too. We had about 3.5" of rain the other day and the trails were muddy. You could see a mud line on trees and shrubs along the creeks and ravines that had obviously been flooding. The river is very high, muddy, and running very fast. Another of the bridges along the trail had been dislodged by a flood waters but it was still in place and usable. I have a feeling that the one that had been moved in the last rain, further down the trail, probably got moved downstream. I'll look for it tomorrow.

I'm thinking that this tag team approach, multiple dogs on shorter walks, may be the way to go for the summer.




I don't walk Charlie often and it
showed. He did a lot of pulling but by
that time I was happy to have the help.
I didn't get a great picture of Max today,
but he had a good time.
Both he and Ochie spotted deer.













The three walks totaled 10.36 miles.
I didn't take Maya hiking today but we took
her to James River Brewing in Scottsville
on Friday evening. She had a good time.

No comments: