Sunday, November 8, 2009

Roxie's boys

Roxie is a female rottie who came from another rescue group over in Bath County. They had her kennelled for a year or more while getting her treated for heartworms and still couldn't find her a home. I had taken a shepherd from them and learned about Roxie. I promised to take her but put it off for several weeks. She came here in mid-October when my rescue work had come to a halt with the new job. I really didn't know what to do with her, but she fit in well with my two male rottie mixes, Sparky and Brady.

Most of rescue work is pure luck and Roxie is a lucky girl. A fellow shepherd rescuer referred a rottie owner to me. She was looking for a new girl as a companion for her boy, having lost a female rottie a while back. She and her husband came out last weekend and hit it off with Roxy. Roxy is a sweet girl and really wanted to be a housedog, and she will be. She gets along well with other dogs so I didn't suspect there would be any problem with the male rottie. I haven't heard from them since they went home, but I'm not concerned.

The adopters are experienced rottweiler owners and they understood what they could and couldn't do and what they would need to work on --(Roxy can be a little mouthy when she gets excited, never a good trait in a rottweiler). Everything about them was exactly what I look for in an adopter and especially in a rottweiler adopter. Their dogs are central to their lives and they were not expecting a dog to be perfect from the start. I wish I could clone them.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey!
This past Sunday I was driving through Afton/Batesville area and found a Rottie mix puppy. A neighbor said she'd been dumped so I've decided I'll keep her (I have had dogs all my life and have one now whose been looking for a companion. I've had labs, mastiffs, danes, and retrievers but never a rottie. You've obviously had a lot of experience with the breed and I was wondering if there's anything I need to look out for in particular (and behavior I need to be aware of)?
Thanks!

farmgirl said...

Happy for Roxie!

Anonymous said...

Hey!
First off all, thanks for all that you do for the dogs - you're incredible. Secondly, I recently took in an 8 week old Rottie puppy that had been abandoned on the side of the road. I've raised puppies before, but never a Rottie and I was wondering if you have any advice/warnings/things I should be aware of? You seem to have a lot of experience with all types of dogs, in particular Rotties/Shepherds/etc especially with all the rescue work you do. Thanks!

Brent said...

With Rottie pups, even more than other breeds, handle the dog as much as possible. All times, all places, in everyway possible, and have as many other people as possible do the same. Make sure they will accept it from everyone, your vet with thank you when the dog grows up. Cradle him in your arms like a baby, on his back, legs up. Make sure you can put your hand in his food and take it from him always. And I never play tug with any dog, but especially not with a rottie. If he's got something in his mouth you want him to drop, you don't want him to think it's a game.