Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A handsome hunk of dog

I got an email a few weeks back from a woman who works with another rescue organization in Richmond. She had been approached at an adoption event by a couple with a German Shepherd named Brody. A friend of their son's had found Brody and turned him into the local animal control authority, but pulled the dog when he wasn't claimed. He had been living with this couple for a while now, but they weren't really wanting a dog, although they had nothing but good things to say about Brody.

Everything they said about Brody sounded too good to be true. Big, young, good looking male shepherd, neutered, vaccinated, and housetrained. I wanted someone else to meet him before I made the trip to be sure, but we couldn't work it out before I left for Kansas. Besides, he was in a safe place and was being well cared for, so we put it off until I got back.

I met the folks over in Shortpump last weekend and brought him home. Brody was everything they said, and more. He's a big, handsome hunk of shepherd, and just as sweet and friendly as can be. Now, he apparently doesn't react too well to aggressive or dominant dogs, and he raised a lip to warn off another shepherd he's bunking with, but that's really well within the bounds of acceptable and anticipated canine behavior.

The only problem with Brody is that I can't remember his damn name! I'm always calling him Bosco, Benny, Bailey, or anything other than Brody. I don't know why because it's a perfectly fine name; for some reason it just doesn't come to my lips. I don't think it will matter, however, because I can't imagine that I will have Brody for long. I just submitted his pics to the website today, but I expect to have several interested people by the weekend. Anyone who doesn't jump at the chance to adopt this dog is crazy.

No comments: