Monday, October 19, 2020

A Windy Hike at the Lake

 My sister Paula and I headed out to Kanopolis reservoir on Sunday for a hike. It was a chilly and windy day. After filling the car with gas, we came back home so I could put on long pants and a second layer of clothing and I was glad for it.

Kanopolis lake is where our family camped for many years, with a small trailer and a boat. We water skied and swam, cooked out, roasted marshmallows, all the things you do at the lake in the summertime. It seemed that we spent most or at least many weekends out there when I was young and those times form some of the best memories of my childhood. 

The camping areas have changed a bit, but the lake is still the same, although the water level was very low yesterday. The hiking trails are mostly new, however, or at least they are more developed and extended. 

We hiked a little over four miles, which doesn't sound like much, but it was a lot more difficult hiking than the flatland walks I had been doing around town. The trails wound up and down a couple canyons, so there was some up and down hill walking, but the most difficult part of the walk was due to the soil. It wasn't really soil as much as it was sand and sand is difficult to walk in. We were also facing some pretty strong winds on certain parts of the trail.

It was a good walk. We saw a lot of late summer wild flowers, and the best part was just the beauty of the landscape. 





















2 comments:

TrishS said...

Beautiful!! I'm so happy you've been able to spend this time with Kate and Paula!! I've been thinking about you all often!!

Cynthia Maxwell Curtin said...

Beautiful! and those were my summers too but many times at Lake Wilson...good memories.