Thursday, July 13, 2023

The shepherd Legend

Someone asked Erika if she'd take a young male German Shepherd. Erika asked me and here he is. His name is Legend and he belonged to some military guy who was moving onto a base somewhere and couldn't take him. 

The good news is that he's a shepherd, although I think he's mixed with a bit of something else based on the coat and particularly the tail. I finally saw the tail fully up today and it's not a shepherd tail. Aside from the fact that it's particularly fluffy, it curls up completely when he holds it up all the way. But the head is all shepherd. He's young (said to be 8 months) and he's been well cared for, although not yet neutered. He's housetrained and he was fine being crated last night. I took him on my morning walk Thursday morning and he was wonderful, once I convinced him not to walk so close to me that I was pushing him with my leg on every step. 

The bad news is also good news, in a way, and that's that his personality is absolutely all shepherd. He has already adopted me as his new human because he's too much of a shepherd to be without one. He's glued to me so close that I've shut his head in the door several times when I'm trying to go out without him. He learned to do the stairs out of determination to be close to me but he's reluctant to walk past bitchy Paisley to get under my desk where he can be pressed up against my leg. In short, he has that mixture of devotion,  neediness, and co-dependency that only German Shepherds and I possess. 

He's been fine with the other dogs but he's really only interested in me. He may not be 100% shepherd, but he is 100% gorgeous.



I don't think I've ever had a better, easier, first hike with any dog.



Getting this dog to make eye contact was not a problem.








This is where he wanted to be, right next to me under my desk. 
Maya shared enough of her bed for him to lay his head on.




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where is this fine boy? Lost My Boots in February.

Brent said...

Legend is with me, near Charlottesville, VA.

Byron's Mom said...

He is gorgeous! Maya is quite the gracious host to let him lie there:-)

Anonymous said...

What a handsome fellow.

Anonymous said...

What a beauty!

Rachel said...

He is stunning. Love his eye contact- just waiting for you to direct his next move.