Thursday, December 10, 2009

Pitty Pups

When I got back from the Thanksgiving trip, I brought home a litter of pit mix pups from the Charlottesville SPCA. They came in there a couple weeks ago and tested positive for ringworm. They've already had three treatments, however, and look better than any ringworm pups I've had.



They are as cute as only puppies can be, playful, or course, and fun to have around. And best of all, they can go back to the SPCA when they are well so I don't have to find homes for them.



They are eating, pooping, playing machines. They swarm all over me when I go out there and love to be picked up and cuddled. I had gathered up dog toys from all the other kennels and washed them and put them away since none of the adults really use them (except for Teddy, who likes to carry around a small rubber tire). The toy box came out again and it's fun to toss a new one in there when I go out. Of course, an empty plastic water bottle is still the best toy around--easy to pick up and it makes a fun sound when they crush it with sharp puppy teeth.



Having puppies in the winter time is a bit of a challenge. Before I took them out of the crates in the car, I cleaned up the puppy kennel, put a new canopy over it, strung up new lights inside, and filled it will a fresh bale of straw. The igloo doghouse points into an A-frame structure, and the whole "house" is covered with a big heavy moving blanket to keep out wind. It's not ideal, but they are cozy in there, and it does foster togetherness.

2 comments:

My three pups said...

They are completely adorable. I would love to trade places with you right now! You've also reminded me to go pick up a few bales of straw this afternoon. Nothing like straw for mud control.
All best,
Kathleen

Wendy said...

Suzanne was trying to talk me into taking them at the last feral cat clinic because she knows I love pits......I just don't have a place for puppies, all my 8 dogs are together in the house at night and separated according to a complicated formula of who might fight with whom when unsupervised outside during the day. She did get me to take a feral FIV cat from the SPCA basement, and I apparently agreed to take another feral FIV male this month. The pups are adorable, you're doing a great job with them!