Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Springing along

Monday was far too warm too early in the season, but today was lovely, particularly by comparison. I was working of course, but slipped outside pretty often for strolls around the yard and the still empty gardens. I have the fountains all running, but nothing planted yet, although that is about to change.

We always make a point of having all the dogs inside before anyone goes through the gate, whether coming or going. I don't want to risk anyone slipping through the open gate. Paisley, however, has her own ideas and will often steadfastly refuse to come indoors. Sometimes I can get her out to the pasture and close her out there, but she's getting wise to that trick too. She's a frustrating pain in the ass, but, she really has zero interest in leaving the yard. I can, and do, open the gate and drive in with Paisley loose in the yard. She takes a few steps out of the gate but follows my car right back in. She's a weirdo, but she's our weirdo and she has no desire to go elsewhere.

Bluets growing in our front yard. There's a pink variety also and they are more plentiful than grass for a while in the early spring.

I had already purchased plants for my new perennial garden, but these are the first annuals I have bought this year. It's time to get started. There will be more tomorrow and many more in the days to come.

I cut back the spirea bushes last year when we had to have the outdoor a/c unit serviced and they look better than ever this year.

The dog yard is covered in yellow buttercups that have really come into bloom this week. The upper part of the pasture used to be full of them too, but letting the grass grow has done them in. There's a lot of them around the yard but the dog yard is the largest mass growth we have now.

I took Bailey for a walk in the woods this evening. She's been really good about babysitting Odie so I owed it to her. She saw squirrels, birds, dogs, and deer! It was a good walk.

She still "ups" anytime I ask her to do so.


Bluets growing along the trail.

The dogwoods are in bloom now too.

Our route, 2.44 miles, on what is probably my favorite trail loop.








No comments: