Sunday, April 26, 2009

Less dogs, more flowers

My goal for the weekend was to end up with less dogs and more flowers, and I think it may have happened. I took 5 dogs to the VGSR adoption event in Gainesville today. Hope, below, went home with a nice young couple on a trial, but she's a pretty easy dog so I expect it to work out. Her eyes have cleared up significantly in the past week and I think that the pannus will be easily controlled. The adopters have cats, however, so one never knows. Hope pretty much ignored the SPCA cats that we met when I pulled her from the shelter, but as they say with diet pills and real estate investment schemes, "results may vary."


The lilac, above, has been out all week and is about past its prime now, but the scent has been wonderful, especially combined with the snowball bush in the same area. The spirea, below, is just coming on now. It's one of my favorites, bringing back memories from my grandparents' farmhouse many years ago.





Bella, below, went home with a woman and two children after her son brought their other dog to meet her. This is the one that I really, really, really want to work out so maybe we can sleep past dawn around here. I explained the dog's food allergy, but I really think it will be manageable if she sticks to a grain-free food like EVO.

Samson, Teddy, and Brady rounded out our entourage today, and although they didn't get adopted, they did meet a lot of people. Brady was charming, Teddy was cute, and Samson was neurotically attached to me. There were a couple of people interested in Samson that I was not interested in. Hint: If you wear an NRA t-shirt to an adoption event, you will probably not be leaving with one of my dogs.


On the way home I picked up about 4 cubic feet of potting mix and a flat of bedding plants. It is time to get spring gardening underway. The flowering trees, shrubs, and early iris have been beautiful, but they will be finished in another week or so, and I'll need to get the container garden in motion if I want to see any color around here for the rest of the growing season.

1 comment:

my three pups said...

You have me laughing today. First, about expecting to sleep past dawn. I can't imagine you ever get to do that with your herd of dogs.

Second,about the NRA t-shirt wearing folks. My reaction would be the same. I'm a liberal city type, but last summer when I was living at our cabin in West Virginia and had a big rattlesnake in the dog corral, a gun seemed like a pretty good idea.

People on the anatolian rescue listserve who lived in rural areas and had dogs bitten by rattlesnakes advised me to get a shotgun and kill the snake. Those who lived in the city advised me to leave the snake alone and not disturb the ecosystem. I was leaning toward the rural advice, but didn't get a gun. Instead, I was very vigilant, removed all hiding places, and worried constantly about the snake until we went home in October.

Don't you have snakes where you are?