Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Tuesday, new Hope

Whew! I do not understand how anyone can manage having both a job and a life. I've been working 8 hour days, but the remaining 16 hours are not enough to get things done around here. And if you talk to my dogs, they will all tell you woeful tales of the neglect that has befallen them since I started working again. The great thing about the job with Lexis was that it was never an 8 hour a day job. Now, I'm gone from home for 8 hours, but that includes my "commute" since I'm really working out of my home, so it is still better than the hours that most people put into their jobs.

Spring mowing has begun, of course, which adds a big consuming chore. Spring rains mean more mud and dirt in the house, and the big spring fur blow out is beginning too, which means more time needs to spent keeping this place liveable. Today I worked 8-4 without a break for lunch so I could get into town when the stores were still open and to get over to the SPCA so I could meet and bring home a new female German Shepherd named Hope. By the time I got home, got everyone fed, and got Hope collared, tagged, wormed, fed, and de-bugged, the evening was gone even before I started on the email. No pics of Hope yet, maybe tomorrow.

The news has been a mixed bag. Good news was received from (the former, not current) Samson (upper right) and from Destiny (above, left). I also received a nice phone call reporting that Jeep is doing well. Dax's mom sent pics and referred someone to me who may be interested in adopting. If they were all like Dax (right) and his sister Celia, it would be easy.

Sad news comes inevitably in this line of work as well. A former foster named Malcolm recently died. Malcolm was a mature, if not senior, dog when he was adopted. He went to a loving and caring home where he lived a dog's fantasy life until the end. I'm always particularly happy when older dogs get the very best of homes. People who dump senior dogs or dogs with medical problems deserve to one day find themselves dumped into the cheapest, nastiest nursing home when they are old. Karma is a bitch and dog karma will bite you on the butt, hard.

No comments: