Thursday, April 16, 2009

Samson the Census Dog

My current Samson came from a young guy who moved to Virginia then got divorced. He was living with his mother, I think, and the dog was tied up outside, apparently not allowed in the house. He was sleeping in his car with the dog. After taking the dog into rescue I learned why. Samson's kennel manners are deplorable, I'd have to assume that his house manners are equally bad. His biggest problem, however, is his neediness. He must be with me constantly. When he's outside in a kennel, he barks constantly. I'm sure that's why the guy was sleeping with him in his car, it was the only way to shut him up. If that level of anxiety continues, I think that his adoption prospects will be very poor.

Putting off for now the question of Samson's future, I've found that it's better for me, Samson, and the other fosters if Samson accompanies me on my daily rounds for the Census Bureau. He rides in a crate right behind my seat. If I reach back and stick my fingers through the crate, his nose is always there ready to give me a lick or to accept a treat. He doesn't make a sound and is content in there for an 8 hour stretch. He's so quiet that I often forget that he's riding with me unless I hear him snoring. He's a great dog, very loyal and devoted, completely trustworthy off leash because he never wants to leave me. But those same traits make him a very difficult dog to foster. I've talked to a few folks about him that I've met while doing Census work, but no takers so far. Fortunately, my job just involves driving around from house to house, so he's never away from me. It's probably just feeding his addiction, but for right now, it seems to be the only workable solution.