Monday, April 20, 2009

Party animals

A good friend of mine had a party a couple weeks ago. He had it in the spring this year rather than summer to avoid the heat, managed to dodge a rain storm, and ended up with a beautiful spring day. Most everyone who knows me knows that I'm not generally keen on parties, but this one was different-- the canine guests easily outnumbered the people.

Clay was out of town or something, so I went alone. Well, not really alone, I took Emmylou and Cabell.

There were dogs everywhere. This was a big house, big deck, huge yard, but you couldn't walk anywhere without parting a sea of dogs. Incredibly, everyone got along. If there were any altercations, I never heard or saw it, although there was the potential for an epic dog fight. There was also a ton of food, which the dogs also seemed to leave alone. I can't turn my back on Bremo, our kitchen rottweiler, for a moment, but the dogs at the party seemed to be too busy socializing to pay much attention to the food.

Emmylou, of course, was in her element. She loves greeting everyone and she had several old friends in the crowd that she had to speak to. Cabell enjoyed it too. Cabell misses out on a lot of social events because he's Gypsy's pet and she doesn't see the need for social activities that involve any people outside the home. But Cabell likes people and other dogs, so I took him along.

Most of the dogs there were German Shepherds or mixes thereof, with a few other odds and ends thrown in. Cabell was unique and no one seemed surprised to learn that he was my dog. I'm not sure what to make of that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

First off, I just love following your blog - I hope to be able to help as many dogs as you have one day.
I was just wondering, what kind of dog is Cabell? I don't remember seeing a picture of him before.