Saturday, July 4, 2009

Behind the scenes

People who see rescue groups out in public probably think that we just keep the dog in our home and bring them out to be adopted. Doesn't seem like much trouble, does it? Some of those same people often ask why our adoption fees are so high, even though they are less than half of what it would cost them to vaccinate, de-worm, test, and speuter a "free" dog. Today was one of those "behind the scenes" days. I left home at 8:30 this morning and finally finished up about 5:00 p.m.

The first part of the day was a long but easy drive down to Natural Bridge to pick up a new shepherd. I'm calling him Buckley, a name I came up with from reading highway signs on the drive home passing through Waynesboro, the home of artist P. Buckley Moss. Buckley is a beauty. About two years old, very friendly, never met a stranger. His coat looks terrible, and he's underweight, but those are easy fixes.

I went directly to the Charlottesville SPCA, which vaccinated him for me and tested him for heartworm (negative, thankfully). Before I got out of there, the vet showed up so I was able to get the rabies vaccine too, which means he can go with me to the VGSR adoption event in Front Royal tomorrow. I also left the SPCA with 4 more puppies, hound mixes who have both ringworm and demodex. Pi was lonely and needed some company. I got a few blocks away and realized that I hadn't picked up the rabies certificate for Buckley in the process of getting the ringworm pups and all their paperwork and medications.

When we finally got back home Clay came out and helped with puppy bathing and dipping in that lime/sulphur dip. It smells bad, but it will clear up nasty skin conditions faster than anything else. Pi got one too. The new pups smelled bad of course, and 2 or 3 of them have very little hair. One of the new pups had pooped in the crate on the trip home and I discovered she had worms in her stool, so everyone got a dose of wormer too. They are now happy in the ringworm kennel with Pi, who is the happiest he's been since he arrived here.

Buckley also got a bath, which he hated and fought, but needed badly. He also got a dose of panacure because a dog that thin probably has worms. He cheered up considerably, however, when we moved yesterday's new girl, now called Samantha, into an empty kennel with him. I'll take them both to Front Royal tomorrow. She's good to go and he only needs to be neutered. He's handsome and extremely friendly, so I suspect he will get a lot of looks and interest tomorrow.

Then I cleaned out the crates and the van in preparation for tomorrow. We introduced Sparky to the Jake-Teddy-Birdie-Brady play group (yes, Brady was returned last week), and so far everyone is getting along well and having a good time. Everyone got fed and I finally got a much needed shower.

2 comments:

Living the life in The Little City said...

Those pups are adorable.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that Brady got returned. Hopefully someone will come along for him soon.
I hope Jake is coming along - the shy ones always make me feel so terrible but it's wonderful to watch them finally come out of their shells. And good to hear that Pi found some friends!
And one of least favorite things in the world is having to explain adoption fees. I guess we're all in this to rake in the big bucks while we play fetch with the happy, healthy, well-adjusted dogs we're selling.
Thanks for everything you do!