Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Rocky update

I took Rocky to the vet today. Everyone agreed that the woman who owned him should die. We got a load of new drugs, but mostly got a surgery appointment for Friday. They will put him under anesthesia, clean out those ears, as well as clean up and close up all the lacerations on his face and elsewhere. The vet also suspected scabies, and I had too, so I had already treated him with Revolution after his bath on the day I brought him home. Now I may treat the other household dogs as well, and maybe myself because I seem to be itchy.

Rocky continues to be sweet and affectionate, but his head and face are so nasty (and sore) that I am not giving him a lot of hands-on loving. He's been just great in a crate in my office and he goes up and down stairs and out to do his business like he's been here a long time. I expect he's just very happy to finally be someplace cool and fly-free. He's not scratching himself so much anymore, so hopefully he's beginning to feel a little better. The ears will take a lot of work however, and the vet said that he must be miserable with them. He does not seem to hear very much, but he does react to loud noises, so he may not be entirely deaf.

Whenever I've had a profoundly sick dog in the house our own 6 household dogs instinctively know he's sick and pretty much leave him alone. That is proving to be the case with Rocky as well. Gypsy would probably still prefer that I take up scrapbooking as a hobby, but I hope she knows that these dogs need her dad's help.

Thanks to everyone who has shared my outrage and expressed their concern. If it's at all possible we will get him over this, he will be a completely new dog in 3-4 months, and I'll make damn sure that he does live happily ever after.

6 comments:

farmgirl said...

This has been difficult to read, so I can only imagine how hard it has been for you to deal with in person. I hope that woman is brought up on charges. This more than breaks my heart. Thank god you are there with him.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you guys found each other!

Kathleen said...

I hope it goes well on Friday. Dogs have such sweet souls. It just hurts to see how he was treated. Glad he is with you.

Bud's buddy said...

Rocky's story reminds me of Smokey, an akita who came into our local shelter a few years ago. Smokey was so neglected that he had NO FUR, but his owners said they "didn't notice" that anything was wrong with him. They will join Rocky's owners in Dog Hell. Sadly poor Smokey didn't survive, but he didn't have Brent in his corner! Please tell Rocky that all the decent people of the world are rooting for him.

Anonymous said...

brent, you an angel!

Bonnie Loves Cats =^..^= said...

It makes me cry when I see how badly animals are treated. I would much rather be with animals than most people. They are always happy to see you. They don't talk about you. They don't hold a grudge. They don't try to make trouble for you. They just want to be loved and taken care of properly. Thank you for being there.