Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Rowdiness

Rowdy is the little rottie mix pup I'm fostering from the SPCA in order to get him better socialized. He's painfully shy around people. Although he's gotten quite a bit better with me, he will still run from me, partly from fear and partly in play. He's a lot like Teddy, unfortunately.



He doesn't have any fear or shyness with other dogs, however, and currently I've got him sharing the dogyard and shed (at night), with Trooper, Precious, and Teddy. He has also met our Molly and Zachary. He loves them all, but Teddy is one most likely to play with him. Trooper will sometimes, but when Trooper tires of puppy play, he retreats to the top of the 6' platform in the dogyard to get away from the relentless Rowdy.


This is a good (easy) group of fosters. They entertain each other, they eat together, they sleep together, and they seem to be teaching Rowdy some manners. Trooper and Precious come up to me for loving and that is having a salutary effect on Rowdy. He comes up to check it out and I'm hoping he will soon become interested in getting some of the same.


I have a good lead on a placement for Precious (the collie), that may happen next week. She got vetted yesterday and is good to go. I've contacted a former adopter who would be perfect for Trooper, IF her alpha female happens to agree. Starr had a male companion dog at one time, but I'm not sure she's interested in sharing, anything. Trooper is very sweet and submissive, however, so if it's going to work with any dog, I think he's a good candidate. They will meet next week as well.


Until then, Rowdy has 2 good role models and 1 good playmate.

No comments: