Sunday, May 2, 2010

Wild dog, wild flowers

Sparky is not so much wild as he is enthusiastic. He looks forward to our hikes so much that I feel really guilty for disappointing him on days that we don't go out. I think we only made it three times last week, but he did have plenty of pasture time on days that we didn't hike.

I'm hoping that someone more knowledgeable than me on Virginia trees and shrubs can help me identify these. The first couple pics are a very fragrant flowering shrub. The scent makes me think of honeysuckle although that's exclusively a vine as far as I know. The leaves look something like a Russian Olive, but I've not known that to be a native plant. I need a good book on Virginia botany. I used to know most things I'd run into in Kansas or in the mountain west where I'd be backpacking, but there's trees, shrubs, and wildflowers out here that I just don't know.

Sparky doesn't mind stopping to look (he takes the opportunity to sniff, pee, and kick up some dirt and debris), but he's not always very patient with my photography efforts.




The last two pics are another one that I don't know.

I believe they are the same, but they were taken from two different specimens. One I was able to get close up to and the flowers on it are stunning. However, it's possible that the flowers may have been growing on a vine that was on the tree. (Sparky grew impatient and I didn't really have time to investigate closely.) The second pic was taken from a distance and it's hard to say for sure that it's the same plant. I hope they will still be blooming when I get out there again.

2 comments:

Shayna said...

I miss spring in VA! We hiked in snow today, fresh snow I might add :(
I didn't have my camera or I could have gotten a good picture of Rocky, Shika, and Gracie the great Dane all walking side by side down the trail.

BudsBuddy said...

The first one looks like autumn olive to me, it is quite fragrant when blooming and attracts a lot of bees and other insects. It is not native, and in fact is quite invasive, but I secretly enjoy it anyway. The second is native wild azalea, very pretty and more delicate than the nursery types. In the mts of western NC where we often go, there is a bright orange species called flame azalea. Rather uncommon but stunning when one finds it in bloom! One of the things I love about our daily dog walks is it gives me the opportunity to notice and enjoy the changing seasons. Although in today's heat, I had to try a little harder to be appreciative!