Saturday, September 27, 2014

I Am Groot


Groot went to his first public outing today - the Vegetarian Festival in Charlottesville. We walked the length of the downtown mall both before and after. I had no idea how Groot would handle it and I really expected that we'd make a brief appearance and then leave quickly, but Groot was very well behaved and he loved it! He liked the people, the dogs, the crowds and the excitement. He is very people-oriented and wanted to meet and greet everyone he saw. I kept him away from small dogs but he gave me no indication that he wanted to go after them. He met a few new dogs nose-to-nose and gave appropriate greetings. He met babies in strollers and seniors using walkers. Groot likes all people.

I've had him out for walks on the trails and he enjoys it, but he seemed comfortable in town as well and he really seemed to like doing something new. Everything is new to him and his attitude seems to be "bring it on."

To top off the new experiences of the day, he rode the elevator in the parking garage. He was aware of the movement, but he just laid down and looked out the window as we went up. I was very impressed by this dog today and here is my write up for him for the Promises Animal Rescue website:



I am Groot. I am a shepherd mix puppy, 9 months old, 65 pounds and growing, wild but sweet. I never met a person I didn't like. Give me half a chance and I'll crawl into your lap or at least sit down on your feet and lean against you while you pet me. I live with eight or nine other dogs and I like them all, even if they don't all like me. When I find a dog who does like me, I like to play and I play hard. I know nothing of cats, good, bad, or otherwise. No one has ever taught me anything, but I'm learning from the other dogs I live with. I've learned to go into the crate and spend the night. I've learned to sit. I learned to walk on a leash pretty well. I don't know all my manners, but I'm willing to learn if you have the time and patience to teach. I love new things and new people. I am Groot.


Riding the elevator at the end of the day.










1 comment:

Anonymous said...

NICE DOG