Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Slideshow

I don't have a lot to blog about lately, the weather has been blah and I've had non-dog things that needed to be done. I was due to take in a new rottie yesterday, but the guy didn't return my call. I'm guessing he will wait until the day he's moving and then call in a panic and insist that he needs to "get rid" of the dog immediately. So, for those who are interested, here's a few more pics from our recent trip to London and Edinburgh. I didn't take so many pictures on this trip, mostly political things since we were in Scotland for the independence referendum and I've already posted those.

No one is making you sit through these; you won't miss anything by shutting this window now and getting on with your day. If you are my age or older, you'll remember sitting in a darkened room eating popcorn as a slide carousel clicked through dozens of pictures from your, or someone else's, family vacation. I'm not sure I always loved it at the time, but it does bring back fond memories of my father and uncle who had taken the pictures and were always running the slide projectors (and dare I say, before that, movie projectors).

They do flowers very well in the UK, both beds and hanging baskets.
Mild winters and mild summers and plenty of rain make for a long
growing season and there's no summer bake like we have here.

Death mask of Mary Queen of Scots in a museum in a village
where one of our tours stopped. Displayed next to it was the death
warrant signed by Elizabeth I.  


Part of Hadrian's Wall (we did a day tour).

The excavation of a Roman fort, also part of the Hadrian's Wall tour.

Pet cemetery at the castle in Edinburgh.

Me with the statue of Greyfriars' Bobby,
outside a pub of the same name.
This is the grave of Bobby's owner.
Bobby's grave, nearby but not "in"
the cemetery. The Dog Aid Society
gave them matching gravestones.


A dog displaying the Scottish flag, the Saltire, at a "Yes" rally.
I brought one home for Gigi too.

The memorial to Animals in War in Hyde Park in London.
Just through the gap in the wall are statues of a horse and a dog.

Me at the poppy display at the Tower of London.

I was so glad that we were there when this was going on.
They add more of the ceramic poppies to the display everyday
to represent all the Britons killed in WW I.

Pet cemetery in Hyde Park. I had read about this online and
made a point of finding it even though I could only snap pics
through the fence from the outside.

One of my favorite pics from the pro-independence rally in Edinburg on the night before the vote.
Apparently a majority of native Scots voted "yes" in the referendum. However, Scotland is now home to a lot of immigrants from other parts of the UK and elsewhere. Those folks don't have the
same history and they have more connection with England and/or the UK as a whole.





1 comment:

Risa said...

Looks like you had a fabulous time, as always. Edinburgh is a great town.