Friday, May 5, 2023

Our little weirdo

I took Paisley on today's hike along with Della. I haven't taken her in a while, and her excitement and enthusiasm made that obvious. She does a lot of running around the yard so I don't often feel like I need to take her on these hikes, but she really enjoys them and I'll need to work her into the rotation more often. As it gets warmer I'll be walking Della less, so Paisley can fill that slot more often.

With Max gone, Paisley is now our resident weirdo. She just has some odd behaviors that aren't quite right. Her idea of playing with other dogs is to run up on them and bite them on the butt from behind. That doesn't win her a lot of friends and she's gotten her butt kicked a few times because of it. But everyone has learned to live with her fairly well, sort of like we all did with Max. I can let her outside at mealtimes because she will follow me back into the house with her food, but any other time of day I have to attach a 20' nylon rope to her if I want to get her back inside. If I put her out in the dog yard or Daneland without that long line, she reverts to a wild and feral state where she runs from me and won't come back in. If that long line is on her, she's likely to come right up to me and let me grab it and lead her in, although sometimes I have to work just get close enough to step on it. 

I put a harness on Paisley for walks because if she freaked out I'm sure she could pull out of her collar. She actually walks nicely, pulling just enough to encourage me to walk faster, and I don't mind the assist on flat or uphill trails. One time on a hike I jerked on her lead too hard and pulled the harness off. She wouldn't come to me, of course, but she did follow us back to the van and hopped into her crate because she didn't want to be left behind. I haven't officially adopted her yet, but I plan to, because I don't think anyone else will. 












Four miles


No comments: