Sunday, May 10, 2009

How NOT to do an adoption event

I went to Gainesville today for a VGSR adoption event. I took up two dogs, Chance and Samson, and came back with three. That's not the way it's supposed to be done.

I started out with Chance and Samson, the latter being my only VGSR dog at the moment. We stopped at the Orange County shelter where we picked up a scrawny little mixed breed female who was going to another foster. I stopped at his house and swapped out the Orange County girl for a 9 month old female who had been surrendered by a backyard breeder. Her name is Tippy. We proceeded along to Gainesville where we were short-handed, so Samson and Chance took turns alternating between the adoption event and the van.

Samson still doesn't show any interest in people other than me, but Chance on the other hand was the model of sociability. He really likes people and he gives a great hug if he's given even half a chance to jump up on someone. He's a great dog except for the fact that he has no manners. But that's really my fault more than anyone else's at this point. He just needs some work.

The new girl, Tippy, is cute, sweet, and very smart. She's food driven, and is crazy about a ball. I don't think she will be hard to place, but I do want her to go to a home where at least one person in the home is her intellectual equal. Otherwise, there will be trouble.


She would be a great agility dog, or a great anything. She's friendly, energetic, playful - pretty typical young shepherd girl. The ball drive and food focus will make her easy to train.

No comments: