Sunday, May 24, 2009

A pretty good day

I took 4 dogs to a VGSR adoption event in Gainesville today. Samson went because there were several people who had emailed me about wanting to meet him there. I had my doubts about them all and those doubts proved to be true.

However, I had also been exchanging emails and phone messages from a guy in Richmond about Samson. He's retired, both he and his wife are at home with their two college-age children for the summer. They all came over this evening to meet him after we were back from Gainesville. He was a hit and I expect to be taking him to meet their other two rescue dogs one day this week. Assuming that all goes well, and I expect that it will, Samson will be in a great home that is well suited to his needs.

I also took Friskie today. She was sweet, friendly, laid back, and generally very well behaved. She's one that I brought home from the Fluvanna SPCA a week or so ago. We met a few somewhat interested people, and one couple that she would be perfect for, if they come around to that realization.

Even if that doesn't happen, I think she will be relatively easy to place in spite of being not quite a shepherd. She really has a great temperament and is a better choice for many people than a pure bred shepherd. She is getting spayed tomorrow along with Filly.

Tippy was a big hit today. If I could clone her, I could have adopted her a half dozen times. She was cute, sweet, friendly, and playful.

She ended up riding home next to me in the front passenger seat and she was great for the entire trip home.

She is scheduled to have the treatment for her heartworms on Wednesday this week. I think I've chosen her new owners from all the people who wanted her today. They were content to wait until she is fully recovered. She will definitely be worth the wait.

Today's fourth dog was Chance. I like to take Chance because he really likes to go. Chance really knows how to work the crowd. He's sweet, charming, and cuddly, and he found an interested adopter today. She was so interested that she drove down to our house late this afternoon with her boyfriend's dog (a female shepherd) to make sure that they would get along. The two dogs were ok together but didn't really engage with one another.

She had some doubts because of Chance's size and lack of household experience, and I did too. Since I am never without a suitable alternative, I introduced her to today's surprise dog, Marine. Marine was returned today from a prior adopter. I had agreed to take him in because his former foster home had a new foster dog and really couldn't cope with more than one. However, I had completely forgotten that Marine was coming back today, so I brought home 5 dogs after taking up 4.

Marine's original owner had committed suicide, and his loving family had decided to euthanize his dog. He was first adopted out to a young cop who liked the idea of having a German Shepherd more than the reality of actually having a dog (I don't much care for cops as adopters generally.) Marine is a young male and is very good looking. The woman who had come down to meet with Chance recognized him as a better choice and he proved the point by being very outgoing and friendly, particularly with the female shepherd she had brought along.

The female shepherd had not been well socialized with other dogs since she was a puppy and she really didn't know what to make of this young male dog who kept trying to get her to play. He was persistent, but patient, and she was at least interested enough to tolerate him. I think they will be very good for each other.

I've finished out the week with 10 fosters, but with very good prospects for placing two of them at least, so today was a pretty good day.

2 comments:

Bonnie Loves Cats =^..^= said...

Those are very nice stories about your rescue dogs. I hope the people come back to adopt.
I love the pictures too.

kathleen said...

Friskie is so darn cool. Someone is going to love that dog.