Friday, May 15, 2009

Updates on the new guys

Sorry, no pics because I'm away from my home computer as I write this.

Tippy was spayed on Tuesday and bounced back from the surgery like the young dog that she is. She never missed a meal and didn't even seem to need the pain killers they sent home with her. Her only problem from the surgery has been her disappointment in not being allowed to play with Brady and Teddy, but I think I'll put them all back together tomorrow.

Friskie is loving life with Samson and Chance. She has really livened things up in that kennel. Friskie loves being out of the shelter and having room to run and other dogs to play with. Samson and Chance needed someone capable of handling the collective brain that all dogs share when they are in groups of two or more. She's happy, so they are happy. The food intake has increased in that kennel by more than would be expected for the addition of just one more dog. They are playing more and eating more.

Shy, scared, Jake is slowly, ever so slowly, coming around. He still moves away from me when I go into his kennel, but not as far or as fast as he did at first. He will look at me now, and I'm getting that look that says: "I'd like to be your friend, but I don't quite trust you yet." I'm going to reintroduce Tippy to the Brady/Teddy kennel tomorrow, and then soon try opening the gate between that kennel and the one where Jake is hunkered down. Once he becomes part of a pack, they should help him come around.

Tomorrow I'm picking up a new dog--another young, female shepherd.

1 comment:

farmgirl said...

I missed you by a nano second today at Old Dominion...saw your van just as you pulled out and I was pulling in...I was there just for check ups, a dental etc. Every one is fine. YOUR dog is particularly happy today, having rolled a few times in horse dung.