Monday, May 4, 2009

Chance and Samson's Sunday outing

Last Sunday I went to an adoption event at the Petsmart in Richmond. VGSR had been invited by the manager to participate in Petsmart's annual adoptathon that weekend. Sunday was the only day I could go and no one else volunteered, so I went alone with Samson, currently my only VGSR dog, and Chance, who was an honorary shepherd for the day.

Another group, BARK, was there and they had more shepherds than I did. Samson was his usual neurotic self, completely attached to me and not even very interested in anyone else. I had pulled the muscles in my lower back the day before, so I was in no shape to sit, stand, or hold a dog, but we managed to stick it out for 3 hours.

I was pleasantly surprised with Chance. He really enjoyed the people and other dogs, and I think mostly he enjoyed just being out someplace new. Chance has been kenneled for most of his life without a lot of worldly experiences. He's been great when I take him on walks and on Sunday he proved that he can be great in a crowd of strange people and dogs. I've got to start getting him out more, and I can now that I have fewer fosters. I think he will make someone a very nice dog.

No comments: