Saturday, May 9, 2009

What would Scooby do?

One of the bumperstickers on the DART (Dog Adoption & Rescue Transport), reads "What Would Scooby Do?" Along with the other bumpersticker ("Dog is My C0-Pilot") it's mostly a jibe at the religious reich while also evidencing my canine addiction problem. Today's Scooby encounter was more literal, however.

Dr. Steven Epstein and his staff at the Animal Hospital of Ivy Square in Charlottesville (www.animalhospitalofivysquare.com) hosted an adoption event and fundraiser for Animal Connections. A very kind person donned the Scooby-Do costume on a hot and humid day and worked the street, attracting people to stop in and meet the dogs. There was a silent auction with donated items, a dog wash, hamburgers and hotdogs, door prizes, face painting, Teddy Bear Surgery, and many other activities. It was a hot and humid day, but at least it didn't rain.

I went with Brady and Teddy. Brady loved it, Teddy hated it. I really need to get Teddy better socialized. Brady discovered that most people had food or at least had food available to them. He's cute and he knows it and he works it. Brady had a bath, lots of popcorn, a hotdog, and part of a hamburger.

Teddy has become a lot friendlier towards me at home, and is more confident generally now that he's bunking with Brady, but he pretty much shut down out in public. He was actually better last week with the shepherd group than he was today. He was sweet and cute, of course, and everyone loved him, but not many people want to take home a shy guy (believe me, I know). It's ok, he's got a home here as long as he needs it, but I've got to do better by him and get him better socialized so he can find a home.

Thanks to Dr. Epstein and all the staff who obviously put in a lot of time and effort to make this a successful event. I know that at least two of the Animal Connections dogs seemed to be on the way to having new homes at the time I left today.

No comments: