Tuesday, June 2, 2009

A transfer and a promotion

Don't be excited by the title. I don't have a job yet and we are not moving. It's about a dog. Big surprise.

You may recall that I recently took in a VGSR return named Marine. His first owner was a young marine who committed suicide and the second owner was a cop with no realization of what was involved in owning a dog. I took him back from the cop because his orginal foster home was full. I didn't figure I'd have him long because he's a good looking young male, always in high demand.

He was returned to us at the last Gainesville adoption event (See, "A pretty good day", Sunday, May 24, 2009), where a young woman came to meet some of our foster dogs. She was interested in my Chance. So interested, in fact, that she drove down here to meet him. One of the things I liked most about her was that she was open to finding the right dog, regardless of breed even though she had been interested in shepherds orginally.

She settled on Marine, I arranged for a home visit in Reston (Thanks, Bob), and we met at the end of the week in Culpeper to do the adoption paperwork and transfer the dog. Marine moved right in with few transition problems. He now has a new home and an upgrade in title -- Sarge.

The email at the end of the first day sounded wonderful, they had had a great day, but that is the honeymoon period so I waited until another email today before finally considering him to be adopted. Sarge doesn't need to be crated at night, he is friendly to absolutely everyone, and the adopter is still planning to take him for training. The boyfriend's female shepherd has some adjusting to do, but it didn't sound like anything that can't be worked out by the dogs themselves.

2 comments:

Re Runs (Kbg) said...

Sarge is one handsome dog!

Bonnie Loves Cats =^..^= said...

Love your stories. Sarge is a handsome dog. I totally agree. Good job. Thank you for all your work to find good homes for the dogs.