Friday, August 7, 2009

Puppies at play

I promised happy and cheerful, and it doesn't get any more so than watching puppies at play. The four mangy hound pups from the SPCA are growing their hair back and beginning to look like dogs at last. They certainly sound like hounds, full grown ones; it's just amazing how much noise can come out of a small dog.
I've put Teddy and Pi in with them, so there are six pups all about the same size playing together. Giving them the dog yard in the day time keeps them quieter at night, although I've had to close them in the shed at night to keep them from starting up playtime at 4:00 a.m.

The hounds had demodex and possibly ringworm. Their latest ringworm test was negative, but a couple of them still feel and smell like they've had a yeast infection on their skin, so I'm continuing the medicated and baths, dips, and anti-fungal medication.

Pi (chocolate lab) tested negative for ringworm again and could have gone back to the SPCA for adoption, but he's still battling demodex so he's back with me for another couple weeks after a visit to the vet clinic yesterday.

Teddy is the big boy in this group as opposed to his usual role of being the smallest dog around a bunch of rotties and shepherds. It's time he found a home. I'm hoping that tomorrow will be his day at last.
The four hounds and Pi will all be going back to CASPCA in a couple of weeks. They should be well by then, and still cute enough to get adopted quickly. Those hounds should come with a warning label. The noise they can make must be heard to be believed.

3 comments:

Bonnie Loves Cats =^..^= said...

You are right! Nothing cuter than puppies (and I must say kittens too).
Love,
Bonnie

Kathleen said...

Does Teddie do okay around cats? I'm not asking for myself, but for a friend/neighbor.

Brent said...

I think Teddy would be fine with cats. He's not at all aggressive towards anything that I have seen, nor does he exhibit any prey drive. We were at an adoption event today across the room from a lot of cats. Brady was zeroed in on them like he wanted lunch. Teddy showed no interest, he just wanted to go home.