Friday, August 14, 2009

Thursday's transport

I drove down I-81 to the Natural Bridge exit again today to meet a woman who brought me three dogs. The two little ones, a Schnauzer and a Corgi, are Animal Connections dogs and are going to someone else. I'm not a small dog person, but they are cute. The Schnauzer will be adopted quickly, in spite of having a snippy attitude towards other dogs. The Corgi is a little shy, but a very nice dog. I've always thought of Corgis as large dogs with short legs.

The reason I was making the trip was for a German Shepherd, of course. She was a stray and has no name. She's thin and has a dull coat, but it's nothing that can't be fixed with some wormer, good food, and a bath. I'm trying to find a foster home for her with VGSR, and I think I have one, if she proves to be good with other dogs. She spent yesterday and last night in a kennel by herself, which I always like to do for new dogs on their first day here. This place can be a little overwhelming if I bring home a new dog and immediately put them in with the others. Some dogs can handle it just fine, but most benefit from a day or two of privacy where they can observe, talk to the other fosters, and get accustomed to the new surroundings.

The new shepherd girl, I'm calling her Jane Doe for now, was fine in the kennel adjacent to Sparky, Brady, and Birdie. I'll try her with them later today. She's a good looking dog and seems very nice, hopped right into the crate in my van for the trip home and she didn't whine and cry all night.

2 comments:

deannie said...

Jane Doe looks like she could be my Sarge's sister! What a beauty

vayankeegrl said...

Jane Doe has those crazy eyes like Rikku. Nani has them, too. They look right through you.

Hope you're well and hope to see you soon. Life's just been so crazy.