Sunday, August 9, 2009

Sweet Samantha

Samantha went home with an adopter today from the VGSR adoption event in Gainesville. The woman had emailed me about her last week. Apparently Samantha's picture had captured her interest and won her over even before they met.

The woman did not have an application processed, but she filled one out on the spot and we talked at length. I learned all that I needed to know to be convinced that the dog would have a good home. Any further inquiry might have led me to something not to like, so I thought it best to stop while I was ahead. A home visit convinced me that this is one of those adoptions where the dog will have a higher standard of living than my own, so I'm a little bit envious but mostly am just happy for her. Of course there are many things that could go wrong, given that I don't know how Samantha will be with horses and a small dog, and I don't really know that she has any house manners.

But there is another dog in the home about her size and age so she will have a playmate and someone to show her the ropes. That other dog has a kidney problem that results in the occasional uncontrollable urinary accident and the woman just copes with it, so I don't think she will be returned for a frivolous reason.

Samantha went home with a matching leash, collar, and harness, a new bed, toys, a big bag of food, and assorted doggie paraphernalia. She will want for nothing. Let's hope she does her part by acting as sweet as she looks.

No comments: