Friday, August 7, 2009

Silence is golden?

I love the internet. You can find answers to anything. I was outside mowing this evening, writing in my head as I often do, thinking that I need to explain the lack of a single blog post since returning from vacation. The title, "silence is golden" came to me, and my mind immediately wandered down the rabbit hole of word and phrase origins. I know there was a song by that name, but I assumed, correctly as it turns out, that the phrase predates that 1967 sickly sweet song by the Tremeloes.


The internet search provided this tidy and apt meaning of the phrase: A proverbial saying, often used in circumstances where it is thought that saying nothing is preferable to speaking.


That pretty much sums up my absence from the blogosphere for the last couple of weeks. Due to the combination of being busy, angry, and depressed, I've thought it preferable to keep my mouth shut because anything I wrote would read like a dark and ugly Irish play.


The post that follows this one is happy and cheerful, and hopefully marks my return to more frequent postings.

2 comments:

Bonnie Loves Cats =^..^= said...

It's great to have you back with us again.
Yes, I know how it can be.
Remember, people will always let you down, that's why I love animals.
Love,
Bonnie

BudsBuddy said...

I missed your blog! I kept checking and wondering where you were. Glad to hear you are getting back in the saddle.