Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Our last walk

Tuesday was a beautiful spring day but it was a rough day. Emmylou's pain wasn't being controlled anymore. She hurt when rising and walking appeared to be difficult. She had a sway and a weakness that we hadn't seen before. She could still climb the stairs, slowly, but going down was difficult unless I held her collar and steadied her. She was uncomfortable much of the day even as I increased the pain meds and gave her something new. But in the late afternoon we went to the dogpark to see her friends and she wagged her tail and gave everyone a smile and a kiss.

I really didn't plan to do a walk, she seemed too unsteady on her feet. But when we left the dogpark she headed down the trail instead of going back to the van. I was obviously going to do anything she wanted, and I expect she knew it.

We hadn't gone very far when we heard something moving through the woods, probably a deer but I couldn't see it. Her ears perked up and she got some of the old bounce back in her step, even pulling me down the trail a bit in the direction of the sound.

We didn't go far but I'm glad we went.

Clay had to hit two drug stores on his way home to get a prescription filled, but the muscle relaxers gave her some comfort last night and she seemed to sleep well. I brought the guest room mattress into the office so I could stay with her last night, but she occupied the center of it, and the pillow, so I went back to my own bed as not to disturb her. She slept near Molly, who seemed to know what is going on.

Today I made the call and the trip to the vet for that last act of kindness because it was clear that her quality of life would not recover. I held her head and kissed her as the vet took away her pain.

Those eyes of hers could look right through me and read me like a book. She spoke with her voice, her eyes, and her entire body, reserving her greatest excitement for the hunt and her happiest expressions for people. She greeted everyone like a long lost friend, but she was most vocal when Clay would come home from work, telling him about everything that he had missed during the day.

She got dealt a few bad hands in life, but she sure never held it against us. We were the lucky beneficiaries of other people's ignorance and misfortune. I can not express what she meant to me. She was tall, slender, grey, and beautiful, and she was a steadfast friend.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

I opened up your blog today as I do many days to read about the dogs - I was brought to tears by "Our last walk". I am so sorry for your loss of Emmylou -

mythreepups said...

Brent,
I'm sorry. Letting go of a well-loved dog is just about the hardest thing.
Take care,
Kathleen

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. She was very lucky to have you!

Scott Rothe said...

I understand, and I send you and Clay my love. You rescued Emmylou, and she returned the favor many times over. Hold on to those memories.

Anonymous said...

Deepest and sincere condolences on the loss of Emmylou. I know that she had a happy life with you and Clay. The only thing wrong with dogs is that they don't live long enough.
-Risa

Anonymous said...

EmmyLou was a sweet girl(: When I first met EmmyLou, she was constantly finding her way back to you and Clay. She knew what she wanted! I am so glad she found her forever home with you two. She was such a pleasure to watch. I am glad she crossed our lives and left her print.

BudsBuddy said...

So sorry for your loss, Emmylou sounds like such a treasure. Thank you for sharing her specialness with us. The last picture of her is a stunner. May your remaining dogs bring you both comfort and joy today and everyday.

Anonymous said...

So sorry about the loss of your beloved dog, Emmylou. It sounds like she had a wonderful and happy life. We recently saw a great episode of the twilight zone (not sure if you are a fan), but we thought it had a wonderful take on the incredible nature of dogs and their relationships with people. It is called "The Hunt" and its available online- http://www.imdb.com/video/cbs/vi71630873/

Hilah, Josh (& Tevya)

Cal Armstrong said...

Your post came across my Google Reader recommended items I'm so sorry for your loss; I can empathize as my dog Shiva had her last walk on Monday. Pain shared is pain divided; you and yours are in my thoughts.

Rowdy said...

So sorry for your loss. Thanks for all you do for the canine sect.
http://video.yahoo.com/watch/80025/496137

Anonymous said...

I was so sad to read about Emmylou. I know she was extra special to you & Clay and I'm sure you were to her as well. I'm glad you were able to share a few treasured last moments together. Thanks for giving her a wonderful life. My heart goes out to you and Clay.
Denise

Bonnie Loves Cats =^..^= said...

Dear Brent,
I just read about Emmylou, and it breaks my heart. I am in tears. Thank you for your wonderful blog and tribute to Emmylou along with the beautiful photos.
Love,
Bonnie

Anonymous said...

Brent, I read and cried, we have all been down that last walk. She was a lovely addition to your family, very much loved, and cared for. Lynette

Lynette L said...

Brent, I loved your words of love and loss, she was a beautiful addition to your family. I will miss asking about her. Lynette