Sunday, March 14, 2010

Almost out of shepherds

Today I got one shepherd back but got him re-homed without actually bringing him back to my place. A couple weeks ago I had placed Zeus with another VGSR volunteer in nothern Virginia who was interested in adopting him. Zeus was great in most ways, but he demonstrated a tendency to chase after vehicles and wildlife that would make him vulnerable in a home without a fence.

So Zeus came back to the VGSR adoption event today at Gainesville, but he wasn't there for long. I had contacted someone who was looking for a young male shepherd and he came to Gainesville today and took Zeus home. The new home has two labs, one young and one older. The young one took to Zeus immediately. The older one will come around.

If Zeus stays where he is, it means that I'm down to just Rocky as my only foster shepherd. His adopter is en route from Utah and will probably arrive here tomorrow evening. I'm not rushing to fill any slots, however, as I have 3 boarders at the moment and there are still 4 non-shepherd fosters in addition to our own six resident dogs. It will be some time before we are canine deficient around here.

I'm actually happier with this home as the new owner is "family" and I like nothing better than adopting my fosters to other gay and lesbian couples. Discrimination? you betcha. When the country adopts a non-discrimination policy based on sexual orientation, I'll drop mine too. Those that belong to right-wing political or religious organizations need not apply at all. As long as there is discrimination based on non-meritorious factors, I think that everyone should get a taste of it.

No comments: