Sunday, March 21, 2010

Junior and Senior

I like the idea of moving dogs around within our extended pack, at least for certain activities. For one reason, they need to learn to accept and get along with "outsider" dogs. Second, they can learn different behaviors from different dogs. In the case of my Emmylou/Teddy walking pair, there was no question about them getting along. They both get along with everyone they've ever met.

Teddy, however, needs to learn Emmylou's confident behavior, especially in new situations (outside the home environment), and when meeting people. Teddy is still a scared little boy. He's happy and confident here at home, but out in public or when meeting new people he shrinks back into his shell. He will never get adopted if that continues so he's part of my push to place my other fosters while I'm in a lull with the shepherds.

He has never really been away from home except to adoption events, where he is always terrified. Taking him walking with Emmylou gets him out, will get him to trust and rely on me, and will let him see the behavior of a dog who thoroughly enjoys socializing with new dogs and new people.

We did a relatively short walk on the Fluvanna Heritage Trail, followed by some dog park time. It was enough of a walk for Emmy and it was twice as much walk for him with his short little legs.

On the trail, he stuck to Emmy like glue and looked back at me with suspicion. In the dog park, she greeted everyone and he pretty much kept his distance from everyone, human and canine. But it was our first time there. I think he will come around.

A few times, when he thought I wasn't looking, I saw him forget his fear, perk up his ears and tail and actually enjoy himself.

No comments: