Sunday, June 27, 2010

Life is good

After Abigail's adoption Saturday morning, I stopped at the Bass Pro Shop in Ashland, just north of Richmond for a little shopping but still made it home before 1:00 p.m. I stopped for a six pack and a bag of ice, loaded up the cooler and my canoe and did a lazy float trip down the Rivanna Saturday afternoon. The trip that took me about 1.5 hours earlier in the spring was at least 3 hours yesterday. The current was slower and water level much lower, but there was still enough to float the canoe in most places and the water was crystal clear.

I could see fish swimming all over, mostly small ones, but a lot of them. This little blue heron was have a field day wading in the shallow water and picking off some of the slower fish.

I passed a fisherman standing in the river who was surprised by a water snake that came right up near his feet, grabbed a fish, and then swam off. I saw several ducks as well but didn't manage to get a decent picture. It was a hot, but pretty, day.

Lexi had her heartworm treatment Thursday and Friday. The vet's office had no power after Thursday's storm, so Clay brought her home Friday morning when his office closed, also without power. She was in a lot of pain initially, but some tramadol took the edge off and she's been resting pretty comfortably since then. I have another foster home lined up for her in another week or so. She will be pampered, get lots of rest and love, and a good advocate for finding her a great home when she's ready.

Today I took Thor, Trooper, and Sadie to an adoption event in Gainesville. Thor was great with the crowd, and Trooper was mostly pretty good with volunteers. I didn't let strangers near him except other VGSR volunteers. He was better generally, everyone gave him treats. He just needs to learn that there are ways to deal with unknown people other than barking at them.

The best news of the day is that another volunteer, a two-time former adopter, took Sadie home to foster. I haven't really gotten any good pics of Sadie yet, but she's the first dog I took in after Montana. She's middle aged, one messed up ear, and she may not be the first dog adopted, but she's a good dog and deserves a chance. She's actually the kind I'd keep myself if I wasn't already over my allowed quota of female dogs in the house. She's devoted, loyal, smart, and not too bitchy. If she will leave the cats alone in this foster home, she will have it made.

1 comment:

Bonnie Loves Cats =^..^= said...

Go Sadie!
Beautiful photos, the heron and the 2 of the river, wow.
Sounds like you had a very good weekend, minus the vet's office losing power.
Several people still without power. Hope it comes back soon.