Sunday, June 20, 2010

One down

Well, I'm down one shepherd this evening. Axle got adopted today from the VGSR adoption event at Petco in Front Royal. I took Axle, skinny Thor, and Trooper. Axle and Thor were great, Trooper was ok. He would take treats from people, but still bark and/or jump if they surprised him or tried too soon to touch him. He needs to be fed and ignored until he has a chance to check out a new person, then he's ok. He wasn't great, but it wasn't bad for a first event for him.

Thor was sweet and friendly. And he pooped out on the grass under observation and he's now producing solid stool again. Everyone is back on solid dog food now, although I'm going to continue the Metronidazole for another day or two anyway.

Axle was wonderful. He worked the crowd, and particularly worked on the young man who had come to meet him. I like a dog who does his part at an adoption event and Axle really did. He comes across as sweet and friendly, which he is. He nuzzles up to someone as if to convince them of his sincerity and gives them his "take me home with you" look. It's as if he knew why we were there.

His adopter is the son of a prior adopter and the whole family comes highly recommended so I'm very happy for everyone involved. I'm not sure which of them looks happier.

There's one less shepherd here now, but no less dogs. The rottie pup, Rowdy, came back from his foster home, but only because he has a neuter appointment here on Monday. He should be going back on Wednesday. He rode home well with Trooper and Axle, but now he's upstairs in my office with Molly, Lexi, Sadie, and Abigail, where he will be tonight and after his surgery tomorrow. He's definitely better socialized already, I can tell the difference and see the progress he has made since he's been gone. I need to check Sadie with cats, if she's ok I may have another foster home for her.

1 comment:

BudsBuddy said...

Glad to hear things are looking up after the weekend. Especially glad to hear Rowdy is coming around in his foster home, I had been wondering about him. So nice of those kind people to give him the extra TLC he needs (and you of course, to make the connection for him).