Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Conehead Cabell

One of the problems with fostering so many dogs is that I sometimes feel that our own dogs are neglected.  I hear people who notice and fret over every little bump, cut, scab, or mark on their single dog, watch it closely, and rush to the vet at the drop of a hat.  My own philosphy is that if they are not actively bleeding, and if they can stand, walk, run, and if they are eating, drinking, and pooping, I don't worry too much.

A few weeks back I had noticed Cabell's fur at the base of his tail showing signs that he had been licking it excessively.  Then it went away for a few days and then came back.  I first suspected a cedar-filled bed that I had bought at Costco.  I removed the bed from his sleeping area but the problem continued, at least sporadically. 

Today I took him to the vet and sure enough he had a rather bad rash on his skin at the base of his tail and on his belly as well.  The treatment was predictable, antibiotics for the skin infection, steroids to stop the allergic reaction, a topical spray for the really nasty spots, and of course the dreaded cone.

He's hanging his head low tonight but he's not really fighting it and hopefully this will clear up quickly.

1 comment:

Nerdy Knitter said...

Poor Cabell! Give him an extra treat from us tomorrow!