Friday, January 28, 2011

Close encounters of the canine kind

These are two unrelated events that happened yesterday.  They are related thematically at least because both involve encounters with or between my former foster dogs. 


This is Tevya on the left (f/k/a Diego).  He's a young male shepherd and generally a big goof.  He was at vet yesterday and encountered two other former VGSR dogs.  One of them was Ellie (right), who was also one of my fosters about 2 years ago. If I have my dogs right, Ellie was one of a pair of shepherds given up by a breeder who was finally getting out of the business.  Ellie came in first and may have gone through one or more adopters before landing in her current and forever home.  The male of the breeder's pair was Buddy, who never really went up for adoption.  I got him one day and drove him up to Steve's house the next and that was all it took.   

Anyway, Tevya and Ellie crossed paths at a northern Virginia vet yesterday and Tevya's mom wrote me about it.  Apparently the two dogs hit it off and they may have been catching up on what had happened to them since their time in foster care.  I've gotten pictures from both dogs since their adoption and I know they both went to great homes.

The second former foster encounter from yesterday was one I had myself, closer to home.  Following Flirt's vet visit in the morning, I had an afternoon visit with Jeremy (left) with another vet to reassess his skin and coat condition and discuss what to do next.  (To make a long story short:  allergic condition and skin infection are improved but still not great, we are trying a new food.) 

As I was loading Jeremy back in the van, a huge vehicle pulled up next to us and out came Buck the wonder dog.  Buck is now Robin the Boy Wonder.  Actually, it's just Robin, but he is aspiring to "the Wonder" title.  Robin is now in training with Service Dogs of Virginia with the aim of making him a companion to an autistic child. His main job requirement is to be "bomb proof", possessing a rock solid temperament, unphased by anything.  He's doing very well. 

I've posted this picture previously, but it's a beautiful one.  It is Ellie, post-adoption, at Dewey Beach. 


1 comment:

Christian said...

Brent,

Yes, I ran into two folks at Caring Hands in Arlington, both of whom adopted from VGSR, and I think both were fostered with you.

Ellie is doing great!

We took her to Dewey beach again this past fall and had a blast.

Love your blog!!

Christian and Tamara