Monday, January 10, 2011

News almost too good to share

Well, I've waited since August to say this, but Belle is finally belle of the ball in a new home.  This is sort of backasswards way of getting into yesterday's events, because it actually began a week ago.  After I got home from a VGSR adoption event in Front Royal last Sunday and unloaded the shepherds from the van, I popped Miss Belle into the car and headed over the Ferncliff.  It's the next exit off the interstate to the east, not far across the line into Louisa County.  I met the family and they met, and loved, Belle, with the possible exception of their small, very white, female Spitz.  They have had a shar pei in the past and said that her behavior was typical.  They were not put out by it so I left Belle there that night. 
I didn't speak of it out loud for a week, due to a superstitious fear of jinxing the whole sitation.  An email after a day or two referred to Belle as "a keeper" but I still didn't dare report it here.  Another email at the end of the week reported that the two girls were getting along great. When I got home from yesterday's adoption event in Gainesville, I again unloaded the shepherds and went over to see for myself.  Sure enough, the two girls were playing and having a great time.  They are a salt and pepper combo:  Belle's coat is like black velvet, thick and soft to the touch; the spitz has a silky white coat, as pure as snow.  They both seem to have boundless energy and they love to chase each other around the house. 

This adoption is due to the efforts of one of my blog followers and Facebook friends.  She's been working on finding this girl a home for a while now.  Belle and I are eternally grateful. 


I also sent Buddy to a new home yesterday as a result of the adoption event in Gainesville.  I have great hopes for this one working out.  It's a single man who works from home and has the time and space to devote to Buddy.  Hopefully Buddy won't repeat the mistakes of his past, but this guy knows his whole history and should be prepared to handle whatever Buddy throws at him. 

Rambo, Max, and Biscuit also made the trip to Gainesville yesterday and I have good potential leads on Rambo and Biscuit as a result.  Biscuit hated being there and was growly with the other dogs in close quarters so he happily sat out the second half of the adoption event in the van.  I could have stopped at a potential Biscuit adopter's home on the way home yesterday, but I didn't have time and they just turned in their application yesterday anyway.  Max was a big lovebug.  He really enjoyed the event, gave lots of hugs and kisses.  I've decided his mix seems more like boxer and Saint Bernard.  Our Cabell is a Saint mix and Max looks and acts so much like him in many ways.  He made some friends yesterday and will find an adopter soon enough.

Yesterday's surprise was a visit from the previously adopted Thor, shown here.  He has grown up, filled out, and looked really good.  He's a country dog and wasn't thrilled about being back at a shopping mall adoption event yesterday, but it was good to see him.  He was obviously attached to and devoted to his new owners and seemed very happy. 

The check engine light on the van came on yesterday evening after I finished Belle's adoption paperwork so Clay and I dropped it off at a repair shop, had a late dinner, came home, took care of the dogs, and collapsed in bed at 9:30 p.m.

I fear for the van.  It has 210,000 miles on it.  Several dashboard warning lights are lit up, the power steering sounds arthritic, and it needs a new state inspection.  I feel like I'm waiting on news from a doctor and dreading the test results.  It's too old to put much money into, but there's no other way I can carry 4 or more dogs to an adoption event.  I'm just glad it held together long enough to get me back home yesterday.

2 comments:

Jeff and Tofu said...

For whom the Belle tolls! Yay!! Baby Belle has a forever home. Can't believe it. Her uncle Jeff and brother Tofu are completely and totally happy for her!!

BudsBuddy said...

Hurray for Belle and Buddy and their guardian angels! Keep us posted on the van. Maybe your fans could help get one donated to you if needed.