Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Maddie's agility class

We missed the first class last week because I had hurt my back, but today I was feeling pretty good and I got my work done in time to get Maddie to the agility class taught by Erika of Greendogs Unleashed.  I was there a little early so I let Maddie off leash to run around and play with the other dogs.  That was good until it was time for everyone to come inside.  Maddie wouldn't come to me and she wouldn't come with the other dogs.  She proceeded to run around the yard for about 15 minutes until I was finally able to get a leash back on her.  It was rather disheartening to see because it looked like she was just slipping back into her fearful behavior.  It was a new place, there were people she didn't know, I should have left the leash attached.

Once we started with the class she was better.  She was still scared because she didn't know what was going on and why there were so many people focused on her.  "So many" being more than one.  She's very quick and agile naturally, and she's smart, so she can do anything once she understands what is being asked of her, and more importantly, once she understands that it's something fun.

She doesn't really have any basic obedience other than "sit" but she was able to do the jumps quite easily.  The tunnels were fun.  She did the short one pretty readily but didn't do the long one until she just followed the other dog through.  Then she understood that it was fun.

When she forgets to be scared and doesn't think so much, she gets into the moment, her tail comes out and up and she enjoys herself.  She really enjoyed the playtime with the other dogs at the end of class.  Best of all, Erika is going to keep Maddie while we are in England.  It will be a great learning and socialization experience for her.









No comments: