Monday, February 3, 2020

RW is a good dog

I've delayed doing a write up on R.W. for over a week now because I wasn't sure what to say. One on hand he settled in very quickly, learning the routine, and more or less falling in line with it. On the other hand, it took a while for him to settle in enough to show me what he's really like.

R.W. is 11 years old. He's neutered, he's heartworm negative, he's about 40 pounds soaking wet. He's good with other dogs and showed zero interest in a cat. He's fine being crated although I doubt that he needs to be. I gave him a bath and he was surprisingly good about that and it seems to have stopped his scratching and flaky skin.

R.W. was an older man's companion and that would be an ideal role for him in a new home. He'd be just as happy with a senior woman. When Clay comes home in the evenings he sits in the front room of our house in a recliner with his laptop and the TV on. R.W. positions himself very near Clay's chair and will sit with him all evening. I'm rather certain that he did a lot of that in his prior home. He looks like that's where he belongs and what he expects to be doing.

R.W. often has a serious look on his face. He's not a smiley dog. At first I thought he was worried, but now I think it's more about him just trying to figure things out around here. I think he'd be a good alert dog, he tends to bark anytime he hears another dog bark or hears some action in the house that he mistakes for a knock on the door. He actually reminds me a lot of our late Vince, who was also very serious dog. R.W. is just trying to figure out what is going on around here, why there are so many dogs, and how he fits in.

R.W. has already seen a vet and aside from some arthritis in his joints, he's in pretty good shape. He has no problem doing the stairs at our house. On Tuesday he's going to the vet again to have his teeth cleaned, and I'm going to ask them to clean out his ears at the same time. By Wednesday, R.W. will be ready for a new companion and a new home. He's an easy dog and a good companion. He will be adopted through Peaceful Passings Senior Animal Rescue. Contact me at vadogrescue@gmail.com for adoption information.









2 comments:

Byron's Mom said...

He's a beautiful guy! I hope he finds his forever human soon! Thank you for giving him a second chance at a good life!

hammer1924 said...

Sweet boy.