Monday, September 28, 2020

At home and away, Part 2

Here's some more pictures from Kansas, mostly taken on my walks around town. There's a flood control system of levees that encircles the town of Salina. The Smokey Hill River was straightened and routed around the town instead of through it. They have now made a nice walking trail on the levee. I've also included a few pictures of some of our dogs back in Virginia. I'll be heading back there on Saturday.

The sunflower is the state flower of Kansas. I'm not sure which variety. 
They grow freely in ditches, along the roadways, and anywhere they can.


This is a small grove of cottonwood trees. It is the state tree of Kansas and one of the things
I miss the most from this state. The leaves are shaped like aspens and they make a wonderful 
rustling sound in the ever present Kansas wind.


This is a view of the hiking trail along the flood control levee.


This is one of the many oxbows that were formed when the river was re-routed.
Most have been drained and filled, this one still has water in it.

A few of the straightened Smoky Hill river.

There is generally farm land on the outside of the levee and housing on the inside.


Another cottonwood tree.

They usually grow in groups, often near the water.


This was the route of a 10 mile hike I did one day.

A beautiful picture of the stately Della from back home.




My little girl Maya

The Smoky Hill is always muddy, this isn't from recent rain.







This was a 7 mile walk I took yesterday.


2 comments:

Scott Rothe said...

It sure all looks like Kansas! Flat and green. The cottonwoods definitely make a wonderful sound in the breeze at night. When fall comes around, the white "cotton" falling from the trees looks like snow.

I'm glad you had a good visit.

Cynthia Maxwell Curtin said...

Great pictures of Salina. I have walked portions of the levee trail too. I am hoping to get back to Salina at the end of October.
Cynthia