Saturday, March 21, 2009

Bye Bye Bear

Saturday was a day for mileage. I took Bear over to Richmond this morning to meet his new home. I had been corresponding with this guy for the past couple of days. He was obviously young, but he could write a complete sentence and he willingly and quickly submitted our online application instead of just saying "call me", which is guaranteed to annoy the hell out of me.

He's recently out of college, but has a good job and shares a rented house with a roommate who has a 6 month old, male, bulldog/boxer mix. Nice big fenced backyard in a neighborhood where everyone seems to have a dog. The house looked like two young guys live there, rather sparsely furnished except for the essentials, a TV and pool table. A very dog friendly house, the world will not come to an end if he has a house training accident. He had some experience with dominant breed dogs and understands that he will never be able to rent an apartment with a rottweiler. He also has a girlfriend who likes large dogs and who was OK with the fact that Bear didn't seem to know much about women. I assured her that generous amounts of food and treats could win him over.

Bear was great, extremely tolerant of the 6 month old pup, and he demonstrated the rottie need for actively expressed affection and physical contact. The backyard was stocked with at least two footballs, a soccer ball, and a basketball, so Bear had plenty of toys. He hadn't played football before and he seemed to enjoy that very much, the perfect size for the rottweiler mouth.

Bear was well behaved indoors, never lifted his leg as he walked around to investigate the place. He spotted a sofa or two that he will probably make his own. I felt good about it and we did the adoption on the spot. Bear was the easiest dog to foster. He quickly learned the ropes and did his part in training the crazy shepherds. He will be missed, but I really hope this works out for him.

Next I hit the Home Depot in Shortpump and waited there for two shepherds to arrive on a transport from Tidewater. I brought them to my place for the afternoon, and then took them over to Wayesboro where they went to two separate foster homes. There I also picked up a third shepherd in transit, this one who came from Tennessee. She will spend the night here and I'll drive her up to Culpeper tomorrow to meet someone from northern VA who will foster. So, three dogs passed through my hands and none stayed! Plus Bear got adopted. That puts us down to 4 fosters (Chance, Brady, Samson, and Teddy), plus Bella, the temporary medical foster. I expect her to go back to her owner next weekend.

No comments: