Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Finally, a sunny day

The ground is still soggy and my house is a mess with mud and dirt, but at least the sun was out today. All six of our dogs got a good amount of time out in the pasture to romp, hunt, and bark at the neighbors' dog across the road. This afternoon, I got Teddy and his kennel mate, Bella, out to the dog yard for some serious exercise.

Teddy (a/k/a Pup Pup) is the little pup from CASPCA that I had transferred to Animal Connections so I could find him a home myself. He's turning into a little beagle mix of some sort. I still don't think he will be very big; he's got short little legs. His hair has grown in pretty well now, he was a little sparse for quite a while due to scabies and/or some sort of skin infection. He's looking pretty good now, although the hair on his feet and ears is still a little thin. In spite of being small, he's a pretty scrappy little guy and can hold his own with Bella. When she gets too rough, he just yelps and she will back off.

Bella is several months older and 2 or 3 times his size. She's a shepherd mix with an allergy problem of some sort. She was adopted out as a young pup (not one of my fosters), but the owner was unable to deal with the allergy problem, which apparently got to be quite severe at one time. I volunteered to take her in to see if we could take care of the problem so the owner could keep the dog. She's been on a limited ingredient diet (rabbit and potatoes), and an antihistamine for the past 2 weeks or so. I don't know what she is allergic to, but this seems to have it under control because she isn't scratching and the rash she was developing when I first got her has cleared up.

I'm thinking we will need to do another vet visit, but I hope she can go back to her owner soon, although it has been good for Teddy to have her around. Teddy is rather shy, while Bella is very outgoing. It has helped him to have her around so I'm not going to object to having her for 2 or 3 more weeks anyway.

I also had Bear out for some play time today. He is without a play buddy at the moment since Jeep got adopted. He will play with Brady, but he got into a fight with Chance the last time they were together so I'm reluctant to leave all three together unsupervised.



Bear and Chance are an interesting dynamic. I've seen Chance get the better of Bear, and Chance is more likely to be the aggressor, but the last time they tangled Bear got a piece of Chance's ear. It was more of an accident than an intentional injury, but if you've ever seen a dog's ear bleed, you know it makes for bloody mess. I got an application on Bear today. I haven't checked it out thorougly, but I'm not jumping for joy just yet.

No comments: