Friday, March 20, 2009

Emmylou goes to the park

I've become one of those people who do things just to entertain their dogs. That probably doesn't come as a surprise to most people who know me, but today we crossed over a line that I've approached, but have rarely crossed before. I took Emmylou to the park simply because she wanted to go.

Generally our outings are mutually beneficial. We go hiking and we both get exercise. Or I take her along on some errand I'm doing because I know she'd like to get out and go. But today we went some place just for her. I've had a cold of sorts for the past week and it's been holding on and I've been using it as an excuse to be lazy. We haven't been for a walk and I know she's missing it. I have been giving her pasture time each day so she's getting exercise, but Emmy likes to get out in public where there is at least a chance of meeting people. So today we went to a dog park in Charlottesville. We have more land at home to run on, and more than enough dogs for her to play with, but the dog park has people and Emmy likes people.


She was good with all the other dogs, large and small. She'd sniff them all, say hello, and even run with them for a while, but really she was there to meet and greet the dog owners. She went up to every one of a dozen or so people, wagging her entire body and smiling. Her intent was unmistakeable, even to the small dog people, and she made many dogs jealous by getting more attention from their people than they were.


I don't generally photograph strangers, it seems creepy, so most of my pictures are just of Emmy, but believe me, she met every single person at that park today and would probably greet them all as life-long friends tomorrow. We could not be more different.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like fun. Emmy is a cutie.