Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Lyka adopted?

It was a week ago last Sunday that Lyka went home with someone from the Gainesville adoption event. I've been afraid to say it out loud and far too scared to email or call the guy and ask how it is going. I asked his caseworker, another VGSR volunteer, to contact him and it sounds like things are going pretty well. As expected, she is good indoors as long as he doesn't try to crate her when he leaves. And her devotion level borders on obsession, but it sounds like they are getting along.



I make no secret of the fact that Lyka was not my favorite foster. She was cursed with the most ear piercing, painful, yelping bark I've ever heard come out of a German Shepherd. Her obsessive need to be with her person made her miserable outside in the kennel and dog yard, and it made me miserable whenever I was with her. I hope that she will back off a bit, and I hope that the adopter is looking for an extremely attentive dog and thinks that is normal. It is normal with a shepherd, to an extent, but Lyka's behavior was beyond the pale.

I wish them all the best. The thing that made her a miserable foster will hopefully make her a wonderful companion. He was wanting and needing a companion dog. He got one. I just hope it wasn't more than he bargained for.

No comments: