Friday, March 20, 2009

Spring comes again

The vernal equinox is one of the high holy days of my non-religion. The first full day of spring is something to be celebrated, whether you dance around naked, raise a glass, take a walk with your dog on a sunny day, or all of the above.



It is also the date of my first partner's death some 15(?) years ago today, making it a bittersweet day in my world, but the two events are both transitions of sorts so they are not entirely incongruous. March 20th marks a whole new beginning. A new year, new life, another chance to grow, to flower, both botantically and personally.


My spring plans are always ambitious in the lawn and garden world. My summer follow through never quite lives up to the plans, but I'd hate for the year to come when I don't have dreams and ambitions that exceed my actual abilities to realize them. Being realistic is overrated in the spring. It is the time for boundless optimism.


It's the time to believe that this
<--------------

can turn into this

----------->


This first day of spring is also a new beginning for Athena. As I write this, she is on her way to her new home, which promises to be a very good one. I didn't get many good pics of Athena when she was here because she wasn't too happy about being here, although she did bond with me very quickly. She now has two people who work out of the house and a 9 week old shepherd puppy to play with, all of which should keep her entertained.



(Here's another sure sign of spring, I found my first tick crawling on my leg today.)

1 comment:

farmgirl said...

Happy Spring - to you and C. and all the doggies...