Thursday, March 1, 2012

The odd couple

I'm not a big fan of adopting large dogs into small dog homes.  People who have small dogs generally have a reason for it and those reasons generally mean that a large dog isn't going to work out there.   I don't feel obliged to try to find a dog that will work for a small dog home.  I just saw an email saying that someone with a pomeranian had just been approved to adopt a shepherd.  Good luck.  It won't be one of mine.   I think that certain choices one makes in life foreclose other choices, that's just the way it is.  You can't have it all. 

But I've also learned that you never say never.  And so it was that today I sent Max, one of the larger shepherds I've had, to a home with a miniature daschund. 

Max has been fine with every dog around here and he didn't mind the little one at all.  The little guy had met Dixie prior to Max and probably felt a great relief because Max didn't bark at him or try to herd him the way Dixie did. 

I see this pretty much like adopting a dog into a cat home.  Some people can make it work if they want to make it work.  The adopter seemed to be well motivated and I don't think Max will give them any trouble really. 

They will have tons of cute pictures if the dogs become friends and hang out together.  Max is very people-oriented, so I don't think he will be bothered by the small dog.  The first email since they arrived home sounded like things were going very well so far.  Max needed to be in a home again, so I'm glad he is and I sure hope it all works out. 

1 comment:

BudsBuddy said...

Odd couples of all species can work out, so here's hoping Max and the doxie will be one of them!